24 June 2009

"HERO" (HAH!) LANDS PLANE AFTER PILOT DIES













CATCHING A FEW ZZZZZs ON THE BEECHCRAFT KING AIR 200


Clap clap clap clap. Yaaaaay.

A passenger safely landed a Beechcraft King Air 200 in Ft. Myers, Florida yesterday after the pilot died during initial ascent. First off, I do extend my best wishes and prayers to the pilot's family. This was an unfortunate circumstance. BUT, let's not get too carried away in patting this "brave" passenger on the back.

Before the press starts handing our merit badges and gold stars to this passenger, let's put this story in it's proper perspective. First of all, the Beechcraft King Air 200 is THE EASIEST plane to fly in existence. It has a very advanced autopilot and can actually land itself. In fact, after the pilot initially lifts off, the pilot has virtually NOTHING to do.

How do I know this? I have personal experience with the aircraft. In 2004 I was piloting a small group of businessmen from Cape Canaveral to Bermuda in a Beechcraft KA 200. I was suffering from the flu at the time and had just consumed more than half a bottle of Nyquil Flu medicine. After taking off and setting the autopilot, I decided to get about 30 minutes of shut-eye. When I awoke, we were safely on the ground in Bermuda and the plane was empty. The main hatch was open and a warm tropical wind was blowing through the cabin, my passengers having long since deplaned. The plane had safely landed itself.

Second of all, this "brave passenger" wasn't a casual passenger at all. He had flight credentials and was rated on smaller aircraft. Do you congratulate your three year old when he moves on from one tricycle to a slightly larger one? No. I just LOVE how the press has tagged this guy as a hero. Man, as a country we have our notion of "heros" all wrong.

GOD bless you-

Captain Art

The story can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/clu6hf

3 comments:

  1. Captain Griego: As a flight attendant with a few moments of bravery under my ample belt, I must say that I have never, (I repeat Never) flown in a plane whose captain took a nap while in flight. I am shocked to hear your cavalier statements about what a captain can safely get away with. No wonder you pray constantly while in flight. Please never invite me to steward one of your planes.

    Stewardess Susan A.

    Originally posted by Susan A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And my reply to Susan A:

    Susan A: Sorry, but "moments of bravery" don't to include flying without enough ginger ale or smoking in the lavatory.

    And it's funny you think you have "never flown in a plane whose captain took a nap while in flight". I'm really laughing here! Most folks don't realize how much pilots actually do sleep during flights. After all, being a commercial pilot is really nothing more than enduring long periods of boredom frequently punctuated by moments of sheer terror. When it gets boring, pilots sleep.

    Don't worry about me "inviting" you to "steward" one of my flights. The very fact that you use the word "steward" just goes to show me how out of touch you are. Evidently, the last time you saw service was in the 1970's. You probably have more miles on you than a DC 10 running freight in the South Pacific.

    GOD bless you-

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a so-called Christian, that was an extremely nasty and snide comment to Susan A.

    Originally posted by Caolaide

    ReplyDelete